Domain Name Progress in 2015

domainsowner.png

So, I was doing my “end of the year” evalutation thing where I check my expenses for the year, try to make a budget and so on and I inevitably ended up reviewing the domain names I own.

Domain names are a big expense if you’re not using them, which is exactly what has been going on. I can say, however, that I’ve been doing a good job of letting go of domain names that I’m not using. I went from 117 domain names in the end of 2014 to 71 on the start of this year.

That meansĀ  I let go of about 60 domains. And the funny thing is, I don’t even remember which one I didn’t renew. Which says a lot of the staying potential of these domain names.

More domains will be cut out this year, especially some related to Joomla projects that have ended a while ago (like ToralkoDocs and Joomlareporter) so I think I’ll dip below 70 domain names in the first quarter of 2015.

Collecting domain names might have been the dumbest idea I ever had, since that money could easily be used for far more interesting ventures like the Reddit Teacher Exchange, or virtually anything that I can use myself. That, and having hosting in three different places I’m not using.